Jon's Hobbies

  7 responses to DIY Copper Vapor Laser

  • Comment on DIY Copper Vapor Laser (October 26th, 2012 at 13:46)

    You displace, what a perfect thought!good work

  • Mark
    Comment on DIY Copper Vapor Laser (September 9th, 2012 at 21:42)

    I didn’t think the CVL would make another appearance. It’s great to see another laser up and running that is home built. If your interested I have some capacitors that might fit the bill, give you a little more kick.


    • Comment on DIY Copper Vapor Laser (September 10th, 2012 at 15:43)

      Yeah I could certainly use some better caps, I think the home made ones are a big hinderance to good performance, but at least I was able to get it to lase and that’s a good start! I’ll drop you an email later and we can chat.

  • Comment on DIY Copper Vapor Laser (August 14th, 2012 at 12:26)

    Very nice work!

    I’m very happy to see someone else working on one of these, and with actual results to share in photo/video. Thanks for posting.

    I would love to see this in person. Is there room for optimization/improvement with your device, or does this video represent a limit in terms of ‘visual’ output intensity?

    I’m currently constructing my own such device. You can see some of my work here …

    and my other lasers (including a really brief page on the CVL) here

    – Jarrod

    • Comment on DIY Copper Vapor Laser (August 14th, 2012 at 12:47)

      Hi Jarrod, nice work on your lasers and your CVL is looking very nice as well! Please drop me a line as you get it further along and up and running as well!

      It’s good to see other people working on lasers as well, especially a CVL. There’s huge room for improvement in my laser and it’s an ongoing project, not a complete project, at this time. I consider this more of an initial build and then I will rebuild based on what I’ve learned.

      There are several shortcomings in the current setup but I need to think a bit on how I’m going to redesign it. I started this back in 2009(!) and then put it aside for a while for other interests, then got back into it and used a lot of the hardware I had setup previously which probably is not optimal, although it does lase! The fact that I got it lasing encourages me to evolve the design quite a bit. I’m seriously considering redesigning the tube, more similar to what you have, but I believe I’ll be wrapping a heating element directly around the thick walled bore and then insulating that. The whole tube furnace thing as well as the design of the tube ends is kind of overkill and I think it can be a lot smaller and light-weight.

      I’m on the lookout for some good low inductance HV capacitors right now and considering various options from commercial, to home made, to MMC types which are used a lot with the Tesla coil crowd and switching to triggered spark gaps rather than a rotary. The triggered gaps would be much easier to get precise timing with while still keeping the audible noise low. I don’t think I have the funds to buy a thyratron big enough to run at 20kHz which is what you need to be able to eliminate the whole heating element thing and make it more compact. There are many power supply options for copper lasers, it’s just hard to choose one and they all require a bit of work.

  • greg
    Comment on DIY Copper Vapor Laser (August 13th, 2012 at 17:27)

    nice effort, it looks like you put a lot into this. i live in hyde park

    • Comment on DIY Copper Vapor Laser (August 13th, 2012 at 17:33)

      Thank you. It has been quite a bit of work, so far. I’m sure it will be even more as I fine tune and rebuild parts of the system, but it’s very rewarding to see that green glimmer of laser light and know I’m getting there 🙂

Leave a reply to DIY Copper Vapor Laser

Jon's Hobbies Google Plus
Jon's Hobbies Twitter
Jon's Hobbies YouTube Channel